Max’s Weblog

Life, Thoughts, Gardening.

On the 10th.. August 12, 2008

Filed under: Life — stoatmax @ 11:34 am

..I was stung by a bee and suffered an allergic reaction for the first time.

I’ve been stung about 3 times in the past 3 weeks, and I refuse to mow my grass because I want to have bees in the yard. I’ve only ever gotten blood poisoning before, but we’d put mud on the sting and blood poisoning wouldn’t happen.

This time, I got stung and started to get hot. Really, really hot. I rushed inside, and looked up the symptoms and I started itching really bad on my head. I was getting hives, another symptom. We didn’t know much about it, and I was hesitant to get a shot, so we put it off for a tiny bit before I went to the hospital. While my mom drove like a loony, I knew I had to have my dad give me the epipen. I had hives all over, I was so hot, I had severe chest pain, my fingertips and lips were numb. I could feel me breath getting labored. He found a good size muscle on my thigh, I patted it to numb it, and he jabbed in the needle. It didn’t hurt a bit, I counted to ten, and that sweet, sweet Epinephrine took effect. My breathing took a while to get back to normal, but I could feel it helping.

I stayed a few hours at the hospital, and because of Epinephrine (adrenaline) injection, I felt the crash. I got really tired, really sore, really fast. They monitored me for a while and told me that I had an upper-middle severity reaction. Because the reactions get worse each time you get stung, I know I have to administer the injection immediately then go to the hospital. I’m glad I’m okay, my dad was really worried and scared.

It’s funny.. I didn’t even feel the sting much. I heard my dad yell, and I thought something was wrong so within a second I was outside of the house and where he was. It wasn’t an emergency, he just wanted to make sure I could hear him, I had my headphones on. Well, somebody had been careless with picking our squash and uprooted a plant. Unfortunately, in my haste, I ran through the clover and had a small stinger in one of my smaller toes. I scraped it out with a fingernail, we got mud on it, but it was too late, I felt the heat and just had a feeling that this would be an allergic reaction. I’m happy I’ve learned what to do in this situation, it’s a dangerous allergy, but with proper precautions won’t harm me.


2 Responses to “On the 10th..”

  1. E.H. Says:

    Wow, glad things worked out well.

    I’ve never been stung by a bee, but I doubt I’m allergic. (I don’t really have allergies to speak of and no one in my family is allergic to bees as far as I know.)

    Still, it’s better to be safe than sorry!

    Glad to hear you’re alright.

  2. Red Icculus Says:

    It’s weird, I talked to you shortly after it happened. Glad you are ok, holmes. Although I don’t want bee disappearance syndrome, I hope it only happens at your house.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s